Parents with teenagers know that their children experience a lot of emotional turmoil. It could be due to school pressure, social life, & confusion that come with being a teenager. Sometimes the situation overwhelms them.
Teenagers mostly seek attention and time of their parents. However, most of the time they face challenges that come with significant life changes, mental stress or family issues. During such situations, counselling can be handy.
What Problem Could the Teenager Have?
Counselling is an activity that can help an individual who has different physical or mental issues, some of the common issues why people need counselling include:
- Family Separation and Divorce
- Stress at school
- Family issues
Can’t I Offer the Help Myself?
Some parents think that seeking counselling services for their children means that they have failed as parents. This is not true; however, psychologists recommend that parents need to seek such services if they suspect there is any unusual behaviour with their kids or if they suspect there is any problem with their children.
Most adolescents are always worried about getting into trouble or affecting the way they relate with them when they talk to their parents or guardians. Parents should be the first they approach whenever they have a problem. Having someone to confide in, and who will listen without passing judgment can help you.
Signs something may be wrong
Most teenagers do not express their issues openly, so knowing if they are having problems can be difficult. The following signs are an indication that you might consider seeking some counselling services:
- Behavioural Change: A noticeable change in behaviour such as getting into trouble, withdrawal or acting out are some of the most usual and first stages developing. However, these might also indicate the victims need some extra support.
- Eating behaviour: If your teen eating habits have changed and you’re worried, it may be time to consult a counsellor.
- Sleep patterns: If your teen is exhibiting insomnia, it may be a sign something is making them anxious. Likewise, oversleeping is an indication that someone is either depressed or demoralized.
- Health Problems: If your son or daughter reports frequent headaches, tummy upsets, or if he or she is exhibiting mood swings and lack of motivation, then it is time to seek help.
- School grades. If there is a significant drop in the grades of your teenager, this can be an indication that there is something wrong with your kid. Your kid may either be upset of distracted.
Next Step to take
Suggest counselling to your teenage if you think he or she should get help. Ensure they understand that it is not a punishment. Just let them know that you are concerned and you are offering support.
Use this link information on all kinds of adolescent issues, including drugs, alcohol and mental wellbeing. You will also be assisted if your teenager requires any assistance. Teen Counselling is a great counselling service for teens aged 13 to 19. They deal with all kinds of adolescent issues, including drugs, alcohol and mental wellbeing. You will also be assisted if your teenager requires any assistance.