We can all agree that sleep is essential for overall good health but in reality, more and more people are having a hard time in getting a good quality nightly sleep. Statistics about insufficient sleep shows that 35.2% of all adults in the United States sleep on average for less than seven hours per night. That’s two hours below the recommended number of hours for adults.
There are reasons that contribute to factors that affect your sleep negatively. It could be eating and drinking the wrong type of foods or not having the discipline to stick to your sleep-wake schedule. But, did you know that your bedroom arrangement could be the reason why you are not getting the goodnight sleep that you deserve?
The bedroom is a place for sleeping, a special area for you to relax and rest to keep you energized the next day. There are conclusive studies that adults should have at least 7 to 9 hours of quality nightly sleep and if you are not hitting the recommended hours of sleep better consider checking your bedroom and its arrangement.
- No to clutter! Your bedroom should evoke a relaxing vibe and having clutter around will surely defy this ideal. Clutter with disorganized stuff everywhere will feed mental chaos which affects your ability to have quality sleep. Get rid of the stuff that does not belong in your bedroom. Organize your things and put in some time and effort in maintaining a clutter free space in your bedroom.
- Create a sense of serenity. A serene space is visually appealing and mentally conducive for relaxing. Arrange your bedroom by starting to incorporate special pieces or items that represent serenity. It could be those simple nature inspired photo displays or a that mood enhancing nightlamp. A change of bedroom paint would help too.
- No work at the bedroom. Ban anything that reminds you of work including your laptop, computer and smartphone. Always remember that your bedroom is for sleeping and not for working or taking care of bills.
- Your bed, mattress and sheets matter! Perhaps it’s time to upgrade to a comfortable bed with good mattress and soft quality sheet/comforter sets. Your sheets and mattress are tangible pieces that provide a good relaxing tactile sensation. Your mattress and sheets should also provide you comfort as you slumber away to dreamland. For people who are really having a tough time sleeping at night, a quality mattress and bed sheets might not be enough and a luxury adjustable base for a bed might the answer. Do not hesitate to start investing on your quality sleep because you are also investing on your wellbeing.
- Keep it cool and cozy. Regulate the temperature in your bedroom, according to studies the ideal is between 60 to 67 degrees. You can never have a good sleep if you shiver or sweat at bed. If you need a humidifier especially on cold dryer months, it’s time to invest in one.
Just like the food we eat and drink, sleep is essential. It is vital for maintaining good mental and physical help so we continue at life with better disposition.